Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Training Course Basics
Louisiana requires 9 hours of instruction for initial applicants for a concealed handgun permit. The cost for the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Training Course is $125.00. This fee includes any range fees, one standard qualification target, and also includes free notarization of your application packet, so please complete your packet prior to training if you would like to take advantage of this! You will also require identification for both the class and the notary service.
In addition to your $125.00 fee, the course also requires that you provide a minimum of 50 rounds of ammunition for your gun. 100 rounds of ammunition is recommended to get the most out of training. Ammunition can be purchased in advance, or can be purchased at the shooting range. However, the cost of ammunition at the range is generally higher than at most stores. Please ensure that you purchase the correct ammunition for your firearm! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask me!
It is recommended that students bring their own gun (ideally the gun that they intend to carry with their permit) for the shooting component. If you do not have a gun of your own, you can use one of mine for an additional $10 fee (you must also supply the ammunition). You may choose between a 9mm semi-automatic or a .38 Special revolver. Additionally, the shooting range provides gun rentals for $10, but requires that all ammunition used in them be purchased from the range.
Depending on the size of the group, the course is usually conducted either at my office, 704 S. Foster Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70806 (7 or fewer students), or at FRC Shooting Range. The shooting component is conducted at FRC Shooting range, regardless of where the classroom component is held.
Classes are generally held on Saturdays and begin at 9 am and last until 7 pm. This includes a 1 hour break for lunch. For groups, class start times can be flexible, or the class can be held across more than one day. Also for groups or families, I can conduct the classroom portion of the training course in your home, your office, your church, or any other facility of your choosing. The shooting component would be held at the nearest shooting range, unless your facility has a place to shoot, such as a hunting camp. Please contact me for details.
- Appropriate Fee ($125 initial, $75 renewal)
- State Issued Identification
- Completed Application Packet (If you would like the included notary services)
- Your intended carry gun (recommended) or any gun you wish to use to qualify. If you don’t have a gun, money for gun rental (about $10, and ammunition must be purchased from the range).
- 50-100 rounds of ammunition for your gun
- Extra targets, if desired.
- Snacks and drinks. This class is all day!
What the Concealed Handgun Permit Training Course Covers
The course is broken up into several parts as required by Louisiana law. The course consists of classroom lectures, demonstrations, and group exercises, as well as a course of live fire at a shooting range.
- Gun Safety and Nomenclature (1 Hour) covering:
- Basic handgun safety rules
- Supplemental gun safety rules
- Safety considerations for specific types of firearms
- Basic handgun terminology
- Basic handgun operation
- Choosing the right gun
- Safe and proper holster selection
- Ammunition and Pistol Shooting Fundamentals (1 Hour) covering:
- Ammunition components, types, and naming conventions
- Choosing the right ammunition
- Fundamentals of pistol shooting
- Pistol stoppages and how to fix them
- Use of deadly force, Louisiana gun laws, and Conflict resolution (3 Hours), covering:
- Louisiana Deadly Force Statutes
- Hypothetical scenarios
- The Concealed Handgun Statute, prohibited locations, and reciprocity
- Other laws affecting concealed handguns
- Recent developments in the law, if applicable
- Child and unauthorized person access prevention (1 Hour), covering:
- Safe storage methods
- Teaching gun safety to children
- Special considerations for concealed handguns and child safety
- Handgun Shooting Positions (1 Hour), covering:
- History and development of handgun shooting techniques
- The Isosceles Position
- The Weaver Position
- The Benchrest Position
- One-handed shooting
- Point shooting
- Concealed carry methods, terminology, and drawing
- Live Fire Training and cleaning procedures (2 Hours), covering:
- Shooting range safety
- Basic Practice
- Additional techniques (time and ammunition permitting after qualification)
- Firearm cleaning procedures and maintenance
If you already have a permit, the cost of a renewal course is $75. Please note that you must complete your training and submit your application within 60 days of expiration of your permit in order to renew. After 60 days, you must submit a new initial application and complete the full 9 hour course. Louisiana law does not require a specific duration of the renewal course, only that it covers all of the topics listed above. Generally, renewal courses will take 4-5 hours, and will focus especially on any changes to the law within the last five years.